Sunday, June 23, 2013

OPERATION COMFORT ZONE RE-DESIGN- STEP #1

Ok, so I've talked about pushing out the walls of your COMFORT ZONE, but how am I putting that into practice over these last several months?

I think the first step for me was really a matter of coming to grips with the current Enemy #1= STRESS. After being on medical leave and off of work my body was exhausted from illness, but the biggest culprit was STRESS! It kept my immune system dragging, my energy low and basically built a little cubby where depression could settle down in and grow.

Once I was able to identify this with the help of a very dear friend, I was on a mission to eradicate STRESS from my world...or at least knock it back to a healthy level.



1) START WORKING OUT!
 I had been attempting to find a workout that would be beneficial to both my husband and I. We went from gym to gym, work out dvd to work out DVD...very little held our attention. I eventually realized that this was the path we had been on since before our wedding...4 years ago.

Nothing was working and no matter how much we supported each other we did not support ourselves
That my friends was a HUGE realization for me. It wasn't that we didn't want to be healthier, thinner, have more energy or just in general feel good.

 Nope, it came down to the fact that the MIDDLE GROUND we were trying to meet on to achieve these goals was too far away from the tools and motivation that we needed as individuals to stay on track.

Sometimes you need to do your own thing people. I fought the decision initially because honestly, We are only interacting with each other 3-5 hours a day as it is.  Taking away another hour from our together time 4 days a week seemed crazy.

Low and Behold - It's BETTER!

We have MORE ENERGY and spend more time ACTIVELY ENGAGING EACH OTHER rather than CHECKING OUT while happening to be in the same room. We enjoy telling each other about our work outs and sharing our current "battle wounds" :-).



I started back at CURVESwhich was the last gym that really worked for me. I'm currently doing the CURVES COMPLETE which enlists the help of the trainers and a program called "curve smart" that actually tracks your work out on the machines and raises or lowers the PSI in the machine according to your performance. It raises the intensity of the work out when you are on your game. Curves Complete also includes a meal plan that's customizable to you.

It's working out for me so far! I'm using it as a stress relief tool right after work 4 x a week. I'm down inches, pounds and body fat, but most importantly I'm DOWN IN STRESS and up in ENERGY!

As for the Hubbs, he found an awesome trainer through my trainer.  Anderson Fitness Institute 

He's doing more of a customized low key version of Cross fit. no fancy machines, which he hated! His work out involves things like resistance training, cardio and weight training with kettle bells and medicine balls. Sometimes he may be flipping tractor tires, but for him that's fun! Aaron, his trainer, is an awesome motivator.

In fact, in one week, we'll be doing another first! Our First Race TOGETHER! Walking in the COLOR BURST 5K :-)  talk about EXPANDING YOUR COMFORT ZONE!

you have to take these steps one by one, and that's how I'm going to share them with you!

Did you take any steps to redesign your comfort zone? Let me know!

Till next time! :-)
-J.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment