Monday, July 22, 2013

What a Month- can I call a do over?....

Wow- what a month.
Things kind of came to a halt when I had two medical issues rear their ugly heads.

The first week of June had me sidelined by a sneak attack of Diverticulitus  . If you've never been subjected to this consider yourself lucky. Talk about throwing a wrench into things.

I had to start restructuring my diet which had become a nice balance of well developed, well rounded meals with nutritious high fiber snacks such as: raw veggies, nuts, seeds & fruits like strawberries.

Wanna take a wild guess at what I had to take off my meal plan list? You guessed it, all of those wonderful, easy, fiber filled , protein enriched goodies that are easy to throw in a lunch box and go.

Once again, my 30's and the ever changing flora and fauna of my internals have thrown me a surprise party that I really could have done with out!

needless to say all blogging production came to a stop as I convalesced.

I have a back log of reviews and posts to tend to, which I WILL GET TO! Really I swear it, just let me crawl through this recent mine-field of medical emergencies!

While recovering from tummy issues I had my latest battle with PCOS . If you're unfamiliar with PCOS, please familiarize yourself with it as it affects up to 10% of women of childbearing age and is responsible for 70% of infertility issues!


I've been diagnosed with PCOS since my late 20's , but it's been a struggle to really figure out what that means. PCOS or  Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is:

[ PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, also known as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome, and is one of the most common hormonal endocrine disorders in women. PCOS has been recognized and diagnosed for seventy-five years. There are many signs and symptoms that a woman may experience. Since PCOS cannot be diagnosed with one test alone and symptoms vary from woman to woman, PCOS has been known as the “Silent Killer”. Early diagnosis of PCOS is important as it has been linked to an increased risk for developing several medical risks including insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
Many women may experience weight gain or obesity, yet there are others who may be very lean. Multiple cysts on ovaries in a "string of pearls” pattern is also an indicator for PCOS. In addition, this hormonal imbalance can cause Insulin Resistance, which is also a prime indicator that you may have PCOS. Women suffering from PCOS may experience high testosterone levels, which cause other signs and symptoms such as Hirsutism (excessive hair growth), male pattern baldness and acne. This high level of testosterone can also prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg each month.] - from PCOS.org


However, it means something a little different in each woman who has it.

  For me it means: Fertility issues & never having a regular period. I often have terribly heavy periods that either happen once every few months, or periods that are constantly happening with an occasional break.

This is interlaced with rupturing cysts or excruciating pain in my lower back and legs. It also means digestive issues, facial hair, high cholesterol, high blood sugar levels, difficulty loosing weight and....increased stress.
 Now, not only do the symptoms cause stress, but the simple fact that many women with PCOS have a malfunctioning production of a hormone that your body releases to help cope with stress, instead it releases more testosterone which actually increases your stress levels and furthers to deplete your immune system.

Personally this has left me with a very tired and run-down immune system. I'm very susceptible to infections and viruses. I get any bug that's going around. Taking anti-biotics with steroids further depletes my system and over all makes life very difficult from time to time.

My mission as of late has been to reduce stress and I'm on a good path.  A good work out and better eating habits surely help. I've out of the gym for a little over two weeks know and I can really tell the difference in my body. More aches and pains, less energy- the whole sha-bang!

I'm antsy to get back, but I'm trying to make sure I'm not going to pass out on the gym floor.

I had two cysts rupture last week, this caused extreme pain and blood loss. I felt as though I had a uterus filled with broken glass- not fun, as you can imagine.

That paired with the effects from the antibiotics I had been on caused a whirl-wind of digestive issues which currently have put recovery on stand-by.

After some research I found a good probiotic that should help. I'm on that now and will post reviews in a week or so.

Well, hopefully this explains my recent absence.

More to come-

J.D.




No comments:

Post a Comment